When I was in Taipei, I finally could make one of my dreams come true: to make my own boba.
Initially I thought it would be very complicated to make boba from scratch. When I took a boba making class, I realized how easy and fast the process was. I have been making it at home regularly and I will share how to make it here. 🙂
- 100gr tapioca starch
- 80gr boiling water
- 40gr brown sugar
- 1500ml boiling water
- 60gr brown sugar
Bubble Milk Tea
- black tea
- some ice cube
- Steep black tea to strong-flavored and chill it in the fridge.
- Using Boba Ingredients: Add water and brown sugar to the pot and bring it to a boil. Turn off the heat, then add tapioca starch and quickly mix with the syrup.
- Knead the dough with your hands until it reaches a playdough-like consistency. Then roll the dough into a long stick shape and cut them into small cubes. We can shape it into pea-sized balls afterward.
- Cook Boba: Add the boba balls into a big pot of boiling water and stir regularly to prevent sticking. Cover the lid and let it simmer for 30-40 minutes. Then drain the excess liquid and stir in brown sugar. Cook for 3 minutes to sweeten.
- Make Bubble Tea: Add ice cube, black tea, and milk in a cocktail shaker. (Tea:Milk=2:1). Shake for 15 seconds to blend the tea. Then pour the shaked tea into a tall glass with boba and serve.